What can you do to help?

Abusive families need help. You could even save a life. Children die every day from abuse and neglect. Often someone is aware of the maltreatment and did not report it. When you report abuse, families are connected with counseling, resources and services. This may reduce stress and save a life.

Who do I call to make a report?

In case of an emergency, call 911. In non-emergency situations, call your local county social services to make a report about the abuse. Click here to find your local social service locations.

Guidelines for making a report

Report your suspicions to the public children service agency or law enforcement agency in the county in which the child lives or was abused.

What information do I need to make a report?

  • The name and address of the child you suspect is being abused or neglected
  • The age of the child
  • The name and address of the parents or caretakers
  • The name of the person you suspect is abusing or neglecting the child and the address if available. The reason you suspect the child is being abused and neglected
  • Any other information which may be helpful to the investigation

You have the option of giving your name or reporting anonymously. Giving your name can help the investigator clarify information. The agency will not give your name to the person suspected of abusing the child. Download a Child Abuse Report form.

Please Note: All of the above information is not needed to make a report. If you are not sure you have enough information to report, always err on the safety of the child.

Anytime there is an allegation of abuse, it needs to be reported and investigated by the proper authorities.
A report is the statement that you have knowledge of or reasonable cause to suspect someone has been abused or neglected.
Any case of suspected abuse or neglect must be reported, even if the event occurred in the past.